Happy New Year 2017 everyone!! 2016 has officially ended. Hello 2017!
While it is common but good practice to reflect on how the year 2016 has been, let’s focus on the good and move on. I am not sure what season you are in right now but for me, it is a new year and a new season for me. 2016 has been really tough and challenging for me. It was a year of testing, pruning and moulding of my faith which was pretty painful (still is..ouch!!). Here are the main key points I have learned from 2016.
Know Your Season
“You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.” 1 John 4:4
- Identify your season. It is not difficult to find out. You are either in a season of dryness or you are not. You are in a season of plenty or you are not. You are in a season of favor or you are not.
- Whatever season you are, know your identity in Christ or the enemy will take advantage of your season and bring you down. You could be in a season where everything is going well, go enjoy your season but take heed to still draw close to God.
- Focus on God and not on your circumstances. Praise God in all seasons of your life. During my season in the wilderness, I became weary and fearful every time I look at my situation. But when I pray and focus on God, I am reminded of who I am in Christ and who God is. I am a child of God. I serve a great God and mighty King. No problem is too great that He cannot handle for me. Greater is He that is within me, than he that is of the world.
Why This Season
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Realise the need for this season. Initially I did not understand why I landed myself in a season of wilderness. I thought maybe I have been disobedient. Perhaps I have sinned or walked out of God’s will. I had many thoughts running through my head.
- But after having gone through the season, I knew this season in the wilderness was necessary to bring me to a new level in my spiritual growth and maturity. It was important so that I can move on and progress in my spiritual walk with the Lord. Although it was painful as in all pruning and moulding process, it was important to allow God to work deeper in my life.
Lessons From The Season
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
- God loves me! Each season brings a whole new understanding of who God is and who I am in Christ. It is also a testament that God loves me so much that He desires to bring me through a season of pruning and through the wilderness. If He did not love me, He would not have bothered to do anything with me at all! Just like how He brought the Israelites out of Egypt and into the wilderness. There is a purpose for each season.
- Run to God. Do not run away from Him. You may not like the season you are in right now but know that ultimately God is in control of your life. You can’t run away from Him. Do not be like Jonah. Running away from God will make your situation worse.
- Without God, I am nothing. I cannot do anything of value or glorify Him. Each season is essential to reveal the goodness of God and our faith in Him. God is with us even through the darkest storm but until you trust Him and have faith in Him, you will remain fearful in the storm. When you finally say ‘God, I know you are with me in this storm. You are in control. Take over and let’s ride this storm together’, you will work with God to overcome the storm.
- You will be stronger and your faith in God will be greater. Your relationship with God will be so much more intimate. You will love God more:)
As you enter into the new year in 2017, do not make resolutions only but make intentional decisions to follow Jesus wholeheartedly. Let Jesus be the centre of everything you do and in all areas of your life. Let Him be your Captain to navigate and guide you as you begin this new journey into a new season. Let Him work in your life according to His will and purpose so that you can be a channel of His blessing to others. May your walk with Jesus be a great experience and adventure in your life! Allow Him to be real in your life!